Shortbread Mitten Cookies
A delicious batch of shortbread cookies is as easy as four ingredients. There's no reason not to make a treat bag full for every family member and friends.
- 1 cup (226g) salted butter, cold and diced into 1 Tbsp pieces*
- 2/3 cup (142g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/4 cups (318g) all-purpose flour
- Butter a 13 by 9-inch baking dish and line with 2 sheets of parchment paper (one horizontally and one vertically. It's good to butter between parchment sheets so they stick) leaving a 1-inch over hang on all sides, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer cream together butter and sugar until well combined. Mix in almond extract. With mixer set on low speed slowly add in flour and mix until combined (it will take a while and will appear dry and sandy at first but it will start to come together).
- Press dough into an even layer in prepared pan smooth it out. Chill dough in refrigerator 20 - 30 minutes. Meanwhile preheat oven to 350 F/180 C degrees. Remember to reduce the temperature to 300 F/ 160 C if using fan-forced heat.
- Lift dough from pan using parchment overhang on all sides. Cut shapes with cookie cutter and transfer to an unbuttered baking sheet (also do not line pan with parchment or silicone liners). Bake in preheated oven 8 - 12 minutes (keep remaining dough refrigerated). Repeat process with remaining dough, adding them to a cool baking sheet. Cool completely before spreading the top with strawberry jam and sprinkling with white sprinkles.
- Assemble the cardboard bottom confection bags and write your personal holiday message onto a gift tag. Place the cookies into the bags and seal closed. Your delicious home made mittens are now ready for gifting. Happy Holidays!
Recipe adapted from: cookingclassy.com
Leave a comment