These melt in your mouth caramel kisses are fun and easy to make. Wrap them up like candy and enjoy gifting them this holiday season.
- 1 cup plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 4½oz unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4½oz unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 x cans (7oz ea) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup golden syrup
- 7oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the flour, coconut, butter and sugar in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Using the back of a spoon, press the mixture into the base of a lightly greased 8 x 12in tin lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 15–20 minutes or until golden.
- While the base is cooking, make the caramel filling. Place the butter, condensed milk and golden syrup, in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until the butter is melted and cook, whisking frequently, for 5–7 minutes or until the mixture has thickened slightly. Remember whilst stirring the caramel, scrape the sides and bottom of the pan so the mixture doesn’t stick.
- Pour the caramel over the cooked base, spread evenly with a palette knife and return to the oven to cook for 15–20 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly and refrigerate until cold.
- To make the chocolate topping, place the chocolate and oil in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, and stir until melted and smooth. Pour the chocolate over the caramel mixture and spread evenly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until firm. Using a warm knife, cut into small slices or squares. Using parchment paper, wrap each slice individually to resemble a piece of candy.
- Assemble the cardboard bottom confection bags and write your personal holiday message onto a gift tag. Place a few caramel wraps into each treat bag and seal closed. Your delicious home-made kisses are now ready for gifting. Happy Holidays!
Recipe adapted from donnahay.com.au
Leave a comment